Thursday, February 4, 2010

Oh, so I'm pregnant?

So, yesterday, I finally made it to my appointment to "confirm the pregnancy". After a very short wait, they called me back, weighed me (I've only gained 2 lbs, woo!), and had me pee in a cup. (As a side note, has any woman ever successfully peed in a cup without getting it all over the place? Seriously. Trying to chase the stream around always gets it on the outside of the cup, and even sometimes on my hands. UGH! So then you have to painstakingly clean the outside, and your hands, and try not to spill anything before securing the lid on. Next time I'm bringing a P-mate with me.)

Anyway, it took them all of a minute to tell me that came back positive. Well, duh. So my nurse, and a nurse-in-training, take me to a back room and ask me some questions. The issue of my miscarriage came up, and after lots of precise questions about something my memory is not so precise on, she basically says: "All of your symptoms lead me to think that this is a new pregnancy. But we have to make sure that you didn't have an 'incomplete miscarriage'." Yikes. Because my last hCG during my miscarraige was 42, and not 0, they had to be sure. So we fill out all my information on their computers, and they send me down to get blood drawn. (When the nurse asked which arm, I showed her both to choose, and she was like "WOW! I've never seen veins so big!"). My OB nurse, Melissa, told me that they would not make me wait until tomorrow for the results, and to call back at 3:45.

So I went to Ikea for a bit, had some lunch, then headed back to Elgin to hit the grocery store. While perusing the cereal aisle, I get a call I dont hear, but my voicemail notice beeps nice a loud. A message from Melissa telling me she has some "good news for me." Whew! I call her back and she says: "Congratulations, you're pregnant!" I may have done a little happy dance in aisle 6. She said my hormone levels are VERY high (good news!).

So, I'm pregnant. Officially, doctor's stamp and all. I have to go back on Monday to do some more lab work, but my ultrasound isn't until the 22nd! As happy as I am to get the good news, the ultrasound will be ultimate YES for me. I will SEE the baby, I will HEAR the baby, and I will finally, officially know how far along I am. Melissa had used my miscarraige bleeding as my last known period, and according to that, I'm like 15.5 weeks! I don't think that's quite right, but we'll know on the 22nd (or sooner if I can get into a cancelled appointment).

So since I'm official and all now, I think I'll go take an official nap, officially.

No comments:

Post a Comment